Copying between designs
Do you have a design that you would like to copy over into a new project? Or maybe you want to combine two designs? Using this article you’ll learn how to copy items (text, icons, images, charts, etc) from one design into another. We’ll start with an overview of how to copy and paste between designs. You can also check out the FAQ section to get answers to some common questions.
How to copy between designs:
Start by opening each design in two separate browsers tabs. You should have one browser with the design you want to copy and another browser tab where you will paste the design. Like this:
- Open the browser tab that has the design that you want to copy. You may want to zoom out and check that there aren’t any locked items on the page.
- Now select everything that you want to copy. There are two ways to select multiple items at once:
- Shift button: While holding down the shift button on your keyboard select each object one at a time.
- Mouse: Click and drag to select all objects at once. A blue box will appear on the screen as you click and drag, which will highlight and select the objects.
- Now you’ve selected all the items, it's time to copy. We recommend grouping the items. Use your keyboard to copy the items. On a Mac the shortcut to copy is “command+c”. On a Windows device, the shortcut is “control+c”.
- It’s time to paste the design. Go back to the second tab that you opened in step one. Use your keyboard short cuts to paste the design. On a Mac, the shortcut to paste is “command+v”. On a Windows device, the shortcut is “control+v”.
- Viola! You’ve successfully copied the items over into another design. The copied items will automatically be grouped once they are pasted into the second design. Use the handles at the edges of the grouped items to resize them. You can ungroup the items using the steps outlined in this help article.
FAQ about copying between designs:
My background was not copied over what do I do?
The background of the design will not be copied over with other elements. You can reapply the background color. Click here for a guide on how to change the background color.
The items don't fit on the page?
If you have two different page sizes you'll have to either resize the page or resize the items so they can fit. To change the page size click on the word Resize found in the top right corner. Learn more about resizing pages by clicking here.