How do I align objects?
For a professional finish, make sure the elements in your design are aligned.
There are 3 ways you can align the objects on your screen. All of these options can be found under the Alignment dropdown menu.
Using the Smart Guides
Smart Guides are pink alignment indicators that will appear when you drag items on the canvas. Smart Guides are always on by default, to turn them off click on the word Smart Guides under the Alignment dropdown menu.
Resizing → After you've aligned two objects you can use the bounding box handles to resize them. Indicators will appear when objects are resized to have the same height and/or width.
Spacing → If three or more objects have been aligned and you drag one of the objects around, you’ll be shown equal spacing indicators to let you know when your objects are an equal distance apart.
Using the Auto Align & Distribution Features
Instead of individually dragging objects using our smart guides, you can use the features under ALIGN and DISTRIBUTE in the Alignment dropdown menu to align multiple objects at a time.
Steps to Align:
- Hold shift + click to select all of the objects you wish to align.
- Click on the Alignment dropdown menu.
- Click on an action under ALIGN.
- Left → Align to the left edge of selected objects
- Center → Align to the central vertical axis of selected objects
- Right → Align to the right edge of selected objects
- Top → Align to the top edge of selected objects
- Middle → Align to the horizontal axis of selected objects
- Bottom → Align to the bottom edge of selected objects
Tip: If you have overlapping objects, group them first before you click on an action under ‘ALIGN’.
Steps for Distributing Evenly
- Hold Shift + Click to select 3 or more objects that you wish to evenly space.
- From the Alignment, dropdown click on an action under DISTRIBUTE.
- Clicking on Vertically will space the objects evenly from top to bottom.
- Clicking on Horizontally will space the objects evenly from left to right.
Using the Grid
Select Grid from the Alignment dropdown menu. The grid will be visible as you are creating your designs